Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Why I Might Not Be A Good Social Scientist: Reason #3

I think a personal conversation is, well, personal.

I was talking to my boss about philosophical and moral issues.  In the context of what we do it's tricky to separate a professional conversation from a personal conversation but this one was definitely more along the lines of the latter.

I posed a question that intrigued my boss.  At the close of the conversation I joked "Let's do a study."  Many conversations end with "Let's do a study" that don't actually materialize in one.  Like the equivalent of saying "I'll call you" at the end of a date when you know you don't want another.

The next morning my boss had already initiated a collaboration between me and a professor at another university to further explore the topic.

This reason (and others) are more remarks about the nature of the work I'm doing through the lens of my previous experience, current inexperience, cynicism and naiveté.  I have plenty of reasons to think I'm a great social scientist but it's just more fun to think about falling flat on my face.

And, they'll be good fodder for my book tour.

No comments: