Thursday, August 05, 2010

There were snacks, so why not?

Everyone in my department at work was invited to join a discussion group (book club just doesn't seem like the right term for it) about "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People." I've never read the book but I'll admit part of me suspected it had a high probability of being dumb - probably because it's so popular and comes with a workbook.

But, I decided to join anyway. The way work is structured I spend a lot of time with people who work on my account but barely know many of the people in my department. McKinney has a high concentration of "good people" (especially for this industry) and there were snacks, so why not?

I haven't read anything earth shattering yet but I'll admit there have been a few ideas that resonate and are well put. With that, I'll share the following.

"It's incredibly easy to get caught up in an activity trap, in the busy-ness of life, to worked harder and harder at climbing the ladder of success only to discover it's leaning against the wrong wall."

The expression of "climbing the ladder" is trite, but I did take pause at the concept of the wall the ladder leans against. It brought something new to an otherwise tired analogy.

No comments: