Saturday, March 24, 2012

Top Eight Favorite Things About My Evening with Ira Glass

#1
Ira started the show.  In the dark.  For a moment everyone in the audience was alone in their car listening to This American life.

#2
I read something in the local newspaper that made me think he might not talk about Mike Daisey.  That wouldn't have felt right.  It would have felt like a show, not a performance.  He brought up the Mike Daisey thing and talked about it without letting it take over

#3
He told all the folks who were there on dates and had no idea who he was or what he was talking about that he hoped they would all get laid.

#4
"Great stories happen to those who can tell them."

#5
“It's important that you're out to amuse yourself"

#6
He answered questions from folks in the cheap seats during Q&A.


#7
He was delightfully straightforward.

Paraphrased
"People tell me I have a great voice for radio.  I don't.  I talk like a 15 year old.  You're just used to it.  There's a lot to be said for repetition."
Audience Member:  Do you have any tried and true questions you use to bring out a really great story?
Ira:  Yes.  "Do you have a really great story?"


#8
He does talk like a 15 year old.  I would be wasted in 5 minutes if there was a drinking game based on him saying "Like" or "You know."

Least favorite thing about the evening:  Paying to park in the garage where I used get paid to park.

No comments: