Thursday, October 20, 2011

Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile.

As a teenager, I was obsessed with Simon and Garfunkel.  

Obsessed as in when Paul Simon married Edie Brickell in 1992 (He was in his 50's.  She was 25.  I was 15) my first thought was "If he's going for younger women then really, what's the difference between 15 and 25?"


Paul Simon is coming to the Durham Performing Arts Center.  I'm going (duh).  I don't think I'll get to meet him and I have seen him before but it's been a long time and I can't wait.  His lyrics bring me incredible joy and insight.

If he plays "The Only Living Boy in New York" there will be tears.  

The song is Paul wishing Art the best in his role in Catch-22 as he was headed out to begin filming.   It was written around the time of the breakup but it's not about the breakup.  To me, it's about wanting the best for Art outside of their relationship as "Simon and Garfunkel" (or "Tom and Jerry" as they once called themselves).

Tom, get your plane right on time.
I know you've been eager to fly now.
Hey let your honesty shine, shine, shine now 
Da-n-da-da-n-da-da-n-da-da
Like it shines on me

On the same day the tickets were purchased I heard a song from Paul's latest album Harris Teeter.  At first I was happy just for the song and then I was sad because I realized it was being played in a supermarket and then I said "Who cares?" - I bought "One Trick Pony" on VHS and went to "Capeman."  I'll see him if he starts to play state fairs.  That's unconditional fan-ness.

No comments: