Saturday, November 27, 2010

“Experience is not what happens to a man; it is what a man does with what happens to him.”


"Looking in the mirror staring back at me isn't so much a face as the expression of a predicament."

George: I’m exactly what I seem to be, if you look closely. You know the only thing that has made the whole thing worthwhile has been those few times that I was able to truly connect with another person.

Kenny: I had a hunch about you, sir.

George: You did?

Kenny: Yes, sir. I had a hunch you might be a real romantic.

George smiles.

Kenny: You know, everyone keeps telling you that when you’re older, that you’ll have all this experience - like it’s some great thing.

George: That’s a load of shit. I think I’ve actually just gotten sillier and sillier.

Kenny: Really?

George: Absolutely.

Kenny: So all your experience is useless?

George: No, I wouldn’t say that. As our friend Mr. Huxley says: “Experience is not what happens to a man; it is what a man does with what happens to him.”

"A few times in my life I've had moments of absolute clarity, when for a few brief seconds the silence drowns out the noise and I can feel rather than think, and things seem so sharp and the world seems so fresh. I can never make these moments last. I cling to them, but like everything, they fade. I have lived my life on these moments. They pull me back to the present, and I realize that everything is exactly the way it was meant to be."

No comments: