Sunday, November 01, 2009

Marathon Day

It's Marathon Day! And I have pictures. Sadly, I did not participate in this marathon. I had been training with Barb and was planning on doing the half for sure, the full perhaps, depending on how my body dealt with the longer runs. But then, you know, the whole brain thing and no running.

So, I embraced the role of Cheerleader Coach for my pal Barb. Organized friends to cheer for her at several locations along the route. I had a spreadsheet. We broadcast her location and progress on Facebook.

Met Barb at the start (got there before she did so I got in line for the bathroom). Here's the thrilling pre-race interview.


It would not have been a worse day for a marathon. Cold. Windy. Rainy. Barb smiled throughout the whole thing.


She made a friend along the way. Meet Dana (with Barb at Mile 10).


After filming this clip, this is me at home, doing a wardrobe change before I drive to the finish.

And here's the big finish.


Overall it was a really exciting day and I was beaming with pride for pal Barb. It was, however, in a teeny tiny way a little bittersweet. I set a goal for myself that I was not able to achieve due to circumstances beyond my control. So, new goals I guess. Right now, I'm working up to a really solid 5K pace. Then I'll start training for a 1/2. Maybe do the Tobacco Trail Marathon in March, do some Triathlons through the Spring and early Summer and then train for the Raleigh Marathon. Working that out.

No comments: